If you or someone in your household is troubled by indoor allergens, you can take steps to upgrade indoor air quality in your home. Here’s a guide to five common indoor allergens to be on the look out for, and remedies for getting rid of them.
- Mold – Mold gets a foothold in our homes when moist conditions prevail. The best remedies are to fix leaks and provide exhaust ventilation in high moisture areas while cleaning up mold outbreaks with bleach. Install ultraviolet germicidal irradiation lights in your HVAC system if mold is an ongoing problem.
- Dust – Dust is everywhere, but you need to control it. Dust is composed of a variety of particles, such as pet dander, insect parts, hair, dirt or fibers. Vacuum with a high efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter, clean surfaces with damp mops and electrostatic wipes rather than feather dusting or sweeping, and use a good quality HVAC filter with a higher minimum efficiency reporting value (MERV) of 8 to 12.
- Pet dander – Pet allergies are hard to control unless you can isolate the allergy sufferer from the pet. The allergen is in the pet’s dander, an oily substance found in the skin flakes and hair of the pet. Vacuum surfaces touched by the pet, and use a higher MERV air filter. Electronic and electrostatic air cleaners will also trap pet dander.
- Dust mites – You can’t see them, but dust mites are everywhere in your home. They proliferate in mattresses, carpet, upholstered furniture and in bedding. Dust mite feces contains a protein to which humans are allergic. Control by washing linens in hot water, vacuuming mattresses and carpet with a HEPA filter and encasing pillows and mattresses in allergen-proof coverings.
- Pollen – It enters the home when you open the door and also travels inside on clothes and shoes. Vacuum with a HEPA filter, keep surfaces clean, and use an electronic or electrostatic air cleaner to attract particles.
Learn more about how to control indoor allergens with indoor air quality solutions offered by Carefree Comfort Heating and Air Conditioning, or contact us today at 847-388-0115 to schedule an appointment.