Installing a carbon monoxide monitors in your home is an excellent step for ensuring the safety of your family, but each monitor should also be checked monthly. Now is the time to set a schedule for testing the monitor, and below are some basics on how to ensure they are working properly.
Carbon Monoxide Gas
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless and invisible gas. CO in the home usually results from the incomplete burning of fuel from gas-powered appliances such as the furnace, dryer, range, water heater or a generator. It can also leak into a home when the car is started in an attached garage or from gas grills used too near the home.
CO symptoms include dizziness, nausea, weakness, headache, confusion, fatigue and chest pain. These symptoms are typical of other diseases or health problems, so carbon monoxide is sometimes overlooked as the reason for them.
Testing CO Monitors
Be sure that your monitors are properly installed. You should have at least one per floor of your home, and they should be mounted about 6 feet from the floor, at least 10 feet away from all sources of carbon monoxide. To test, do the following:
- Most carbon monoxide monitors run on batteries, so hit the “test” button. If it’s drawing power, the monitor will emit a beep or other loud sound. Change batteries if it doesn’t work.
- Hard-wired monitors may emit a beep when the unit itself or the back-up battery need replacing, so it’s recommended that these monitors have digital readouts to confirm if there’s an emergency when the unit starts beeping.
Learn more about how to test carbon monoxide monitors and Carefree Comfort, Inc. Heating and Air Conditioning’s other indoor air quality solutions, contact us at 847-388-0115.