Whether your Highland Park, IL, home is outfitted with a furnace, boiler, heat pump, or some other type of heating system, there will come a day when it will need a heating repair. Most of the time, these complex systems operate without fault so long as they’re properly maintained. However, even with regular preventative tune-ups, a well cared for heater will sometimes have parts wear out or simply break down. These heating system and furnace troubleshooting tips will help you determine what’s wrong with the heater so that you can take action or arrange for a professional repair service.
Heating System and Furnace Troubleshooting Tips
Going step by step through the different components of your furnace and heating equipment may help you discover and resolve the problem without needing to call in a professional. Troubleshooting your furnace will take less than an hour but could save you the cost of a service call.
- Check your thermostat. Make sure it’s set to heat. Make sure the temperature setting is correct. If it’s a programmable thermostat, check the schedule to make sure it still suits your comfort needs. If the thermostat isn’t functioning, check its battery. If it still won’t work, it needs to be repaired.
- Next, go to your circuit breaker box. Make sure the furnace or boiler have electrical power. If the breaker to the furnace tripped, reset it. If it continues to trip, you’ll need electrical repairs.
- If there’s power to the heating equipment, check to see whether the air blower’s fan is spinning. If it’s not, you’ll need repairs.
- If the fan is working, check the pilot light. If it’s out, try to relight it. If it won’t stay lit, your furnace will need to be serviced.
- See if other gas-powered appliances are functional. If they’re not, there is a fuel supply problem with the natural gas line. Call the gas company for assistance.
- Check the furnace filter. If it’s filled up with dust and dirt, take it out and replace it with a clean filter.
- If your heater still isn’t performing up to standard, it may need a tune-up or a repair.
Common Boiler Problems and Other Heating System Issues
While countless different things could go wrong with a furnace or other type of heating equipment, there are some common problems that tend to occur more often than others. Some of the most common boiler problems include:
- Thermostat malfunctions
- Blown motor
- Worn or loose belts
- Electrical problems
- Dirty air filters
- Cracked burner
- Fuel supply issues
No heater problem is too complex for our staff at Carefree Comfort, Inc. Heating & Air Conditioning, and we understand that many heating system problems occur on weekends, nights, and holidays. Call us any time to schedule service.