On any given day in your Northbrook, Illinois, home, the indoor air might be rife with dust, mold spores, and allergens, affecting your family’s health. Since these particles thrive in humid locations, it’s important to dehumidify the home as soon as you notice any of these signs.

Condensation

If you’ve noticed any water beading around the windows, chances are the glass has been improperly sealed. There may also be fog or vapor on the windows. Regardless of what form it takes, you need to address this moisture immediately. Try to identify the source of the problem and replace the windows if necessary.

Mold Spots

A common sign of excess humidity in the home is a mold stain. You’ve likely seen them on the ceiling or on the walls around the toilet or shower. Wherever these dark spots appear, you can be sure you’ve got a mold problem. To prevent more mold from spreading, use an exhaust fan when showering or cooking to remove excess moisture from the air. If things are bad enough, you may need to replace any affected sheetrock or windows to be on the safe side. Toxic black mold is dangerous to anyone’s health, so don’t take any chances.

Musty Odors

If you’ve ever walked through an unfinished basement, you’ve probably encountered a musty smell. Musty odors can occur anywhere in a home that’s sustained water damage, but the bathroom, garage, laundry room and basement are naturally the most susceptible.

A musty smell can indicate a mold problem inside the walls, so you want to have the area assessed to remove any recurring problems. To keep the bad smells at bay, run your dehumidifier regularly to remove the moisture that causes the odors.

Consider adding a whole-home dehumidifier to your existing HVAC system to boost your overall indoor air quality. Contact Carefree Comfort at 847-388-0115 to learn more about our plumbing and HVAC services.

Image provided by Shutterstock