Summer has hit Highland Park with a vengeance, and keeping cool is a major priority. Unfortunately, comfort usually comes with a high price tag. There are many ways to save money on energy costs during the summer, but perhaps the most far-reaching change you can make is installing a programmable thermostat in your home.
What Is a Programmable Thermostat?
Programmable thermostats allow you to pre-program thermostat settings based on when you’re home and when you’re at work or sleeping. For each degree you set back the thermostat when you’re away from home or asleep, you’ll save you up to 3 percent on your cooling costs.
Programmable Thermostat Types
There are three types of programmable thermostats on the market:
- 7-day models allow you to program your thermostat differently for each day of the week. These models are ideal for those who have schedules that tend to change day by day.
- 5 + 2 models let you program one setting for the weekdays and another setting for the weekends. If you work 8-to-5 Monday through Friday and tend to be home most of the weekend, this may be the model for you.
- 5 – 1 – 1 models let you program one setting for the weekdays and a different setting for each weekend day.
Tips for Using Your Programmable Thermostat
Proper installation and use of your programmable thermostat is essential in order to save the most money and provide you with a high level of comfort when you’re at home.
- Install the thermostat on an interior wall away from doors and windows, supply registers, skylights, fireplaces and any location that experiences drafts or direct sunlight.
- Once your thermostat is set, leave it alone. Overriding your settings will defeat the purpose of your thermostat and may end up costing you more money.
- Replace the batteries each year when you replace those in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
For more advice about how programmable thermostats help Highland Park homeowners save money on energy costs, please feel free to contact us at Carefree Comfort Heating & Air Conditioning.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com